The article is devoted to the spread of religious extremism and its counteraction in the
penal system of the Russian Federation. The ratio of different points of view of theorists
on the topic of religious extremism is given. The article deals with the peculiarities of the
legal regulation of the constitutional right to freedom of religion and the activities of the
state to prevent and combat the spread of religious extremism in the penal system of
Russia. The article highlights the problem of recruitment of new members of extremist
and terrorist organizations and the spread of destructive religious teachings. The analysis
of the causes and consequences of the penetration of destructive religious organizations
into the penal institutions of the Russian Federation is carried out. Attention is drawn to
the specifics of the development of religious extremism characteristic of the penal system
of Russia, taking into account the impact of norms of criminal behavior on prisoners. The
duality of influence of religion as positive character is reflected, so examples of negative
influence of the destructive religious organizations on persons serving punishment and
the subsequent commission of illegal actions by them are given. The article deals with
the issues that reveal the features of the activities of prison staff with persons convicted
of crimes of extremist and terrorist nature. The possible ways of their solution, which the
staff of the penal system have to face in their daily activities are given.
Аssociate Professor of Theory and History of State and Law of the Voronezh Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, PhD. in Law, Associate Professor
, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Lecturer of the Department of Theory and History of State and Law of the Voronezh Institute of the Ministry of internal Affairs of Russia.
, e-mail email@example.com
1. Ancupov A. YA., SHipilov A. I. Slovar’ konfliktologa [Conflictologists Dictionary]. St. Petersburg, 2006. 528 p. (In Russ.).
2. Bor’ba s religioznym ekstremizmom i terrorizmom v sovremennom obshchestve i Rossii [The fight against religious
extremism and terrorism in modern society and Russia]. Available at: https://proreligiu.club/obshestvo/istoriya/borba-sreligioznym-ekstremizmom.html (accessed 02.04.2019). (In Russ.).
3. Ganaeva E. E. Religioznyj ekstremizm v Rossii: problemy teoreticheskoj interpretacii [Religious extremism in Russia:
problems of theoretical interpretation]. Molodoj uchenyj – Young scientist, 2016, no. 1, pp. 795–797. Available at: https://
moluch.ru/archive/105/24905/ (accessed 11.04.2019). (In Russ.).
4. Matveev D. O. Rol’ tradicionnyh konfessij v profilaktike religioznogo ekstremizma v uchrezhdeniyah ugolovno-ispolnitel’noj
sistemy [The role of traditional faiths in the prevention of religious extremism in penal institutions]. Vestnik Moskovskogo
universiteta MVD Rossii – Bulletin of the Moscow University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, 2014, no. 3,
pp. 111–114. (In Russ.).
5. Morozov A. S. Psevdoreligioznaya organizaciya kak sub»ekt ugolovno-ispolnitel’nyh pravootnoshenij [Pseudo-religious
organization as a subject of penal relations]. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo instituta FSIN Rossii – Bulletin of the Kuzbass Institute of
the Federal Penal Service of Russia, 2015, no. 3 (24), pp. 75–81. (In Russ.).
6. Oganesyan S. S., Gabaraev A. SH., Godovanec O. G., Kazberov P. N. Problemy protivodejstviya religioznomu ekstremizmu
i puti formirovaniya veroterpimosti v mestah lisheniya svobody [Problems of counteracting religious extremism and ways of
forming tolerance in places of deprivation of liberty]. Moscow, 2017. 168 p. (In Russ.).
7. Silant’ev R. A., Noskov V. V., Savin A. V. K probleme verbovochnoj deyatel’nosti terroristicheskih i ekstremistskih
organizacij v mestah lisheniya svobody [On the problem of recruitment of terrorist and extremist organizations in prisons].
CHelovek: prestuplenie i nakazanie – Man: crime and punishment, 2017, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 113–117. (In Russ.).
8. Ekstremizm [Extremism]. Available at: http://www.endic.ru/ozhegov/JEkstremizm-40160.html (accessed 02.04.2019).